Tax World

UK Tax & Wealth Management
UK Inheritance Tax
UK Income Tax
UK Entrepreneurs Relief
UK Avoiding Tax
UK Tax & Legal Advisers
UK Onshore & Offshore Life Assurance
Taxation of Offshore Bonds
UK offshore Investment
UK Tax Guides
UK Self-Invested Pensions (SIPPs)
Qualifying Non UK Pension Schemes (QNUPS)
UK New tax rules for UK Resident Non Domiciles
UK End of remittance basis of taxation
UK ATED charges
Select the Above Options for Information on UK Tax, Investment & Pensions

UK Tax & Wealth Management

Information and background on Wealth Management Inheritance Tax, Investments, SIPPS, Non Doms & Tax.


UK ATED Charges

Enveloped dwellings are properties owned by a company or investment vehicle, as opposed to an individual, and can be used to access a number of tax benefits such as a relief of capital gains, inheritance tax or stamp duty

Are you the director of a company, partnership or investment vehicle that owns in a UK dwelling in full or partly? Has the dwelling been valued at more than £1 million since April 2012?

If so then you could be liable to pay what is known as Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) and you will need to complete an ATED return. What is more, there have been recent changes to way companies pay tax on dwellings that include reforms to:

  • Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED)
  • Stamp Duty
  • Capital Gains Tax

The changes to ATED mean that from April 2016, a company in possession of an enveloped dwelling that has been valued at £500,000 or more since April 2012 will also need to complete an ATED return.

There are a six ATED bands, which determine how much ATED is due. Enveloped dwellings valued between 500,000 GBP and £1m are not subject to any ATED (although a return must still be completed). The bands work on a sliding scale, up to the top band of enveloped dwellings valued at over 20m GBP. For the 2015-2016 tax year, ATED stands at 218,200G BPfor this top band.

The thresholds are set to remain constant for the foreseeable future, although the amount payable within each band will increase year on year in line with the consumer price index (CPI), a figure that is widely considered to reflect UK inflation. /p>

If you would like advice on ATED or completing your ATED return, it is suggested that you seek financial advice. Otherwise, if you would like further assistance or more information on this subject please contact us through the contact email below

UK ATED Charges

Hopefully, these will provide some useful background on the issue, and equip you to make informed decisions and choices in this most financially sensitive of areas.

If you would like further assistance or more information on this subject please contact us through this email link

Advertising on TaxWorld
A range of advertising, partnership and sponsorship opportunities are now available.
Further Details.

TaxWorld's Awards:
Our awards include the following:

Tax Jobs Online
Thousands of tax related jobs are now listed in our
Tax Jobs Section

Coming Soon:
TaxWorld is currently being expanded. Information will soon be provided covering further tax forms and a wider range of specific issues. EUK